Makes about 30 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 4 squares semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 2 candy canes, crushed
- 1 package of dark chocolate or devil’s food cake mix
- 1 – 3.9 ounce package instant chocolate pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Finely chop baking chocolate and crush candy canes. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pudding, eggs, sour cream, vegetable oil and water on a low setting until moistened. Set mixer to medium and continue to beat for two minutes. Once combined, stir in chopped chocolate and candy canes.
Spoon the mixture into paper-lined muffin tins, filling the cups about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 20to 23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cakes comes out clean. Set cupcakes on a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
- 1 can of vanilla frosting
- 3/8 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1 square of semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 2 candy canes, finely crushed
In a small mixing bowl, combine frosting and peppermint extract and stir about 20 times. Spread icing on cooled cupcakes.
Melt the chocolate and use to decorate cupcakes with the addition of the candy cane pieces.